9.23.2012

Five Years, Some History and Home

Phew!  Danielle and I had an eventful week!  Wednesday was especially memorable.  We woke up and decided to price tattoos at High Voltage Tattoo, which is LA Ink on TV.  We are here, may as well try it first, right?  This has been five or more years in the wanting so I was sure this is what I wanted.  Danielle had only picked hers out a few months ago and was more apprehensive about it than me. 


We walked in and immediately I didn't like the vibe.  I relayed what I was looking for (a white ink tattoo that my very talented friend Doug designed just for me).  The artists spoke to me with raised eyebrows and said "It won't look good but I'd do it for $500-600."  I was NOT interested in that number.  We went for lunch to think.

If you know me at all, you know that I am stubborn as hell.  I "yelped" a few places nearby.  We are in Hollywood for crying out loud, land of tattoos, there has to be a decent place around here!  We found a place less than a mile away that got the best reviews, Velvet Grip Family.  As soon as we walked in, I knew that this place was more "me" and the artists really worked with me to compromise what I wanted and what they would agree to do for me.  The agreement was on a gray tattoo with white accents because just plain white ink would turn yellow and then brown and look like stretch marks or scar tissue and they wouldn't want their name on that.  They also quoted a much better price.  They said, "Most people will just do it to get your money but we also have a reputation and I wouldn't want to send you out of here with something you would have to touch up every 6 months to a year."  I appreciated that, and also experienced it exactly as he said it (see previous paragraph).  






Danielle went first.  She was really back and forth and I thought maybe she would wait until a later appointment.  She was so brave!  She found a compass rose that she really liked and her artist worked with size and alterations until she was content. 



Then it was my turn.  No turning back now!  The owner of the store did mine, which made me feel even better.  He should know what he is talking about and doing, right?  He has tattoos all over (including his face!). 

The transfer






Though my face doesn't show it, there was lots of giggling and story telling





Profesh.







And there you have it.  It looks big and scary but if my arms are at my side, you can't even see it.  We joked that this day will go down in history and when we are old ladies we will always remember each other.

Then we went on a dinner date to a churrascaria nearby with the Quintanos.  If you are unfamiliar with churrascarias, it is a Brazilian restaurant where they serve different meats on a sword.  There is a buffet for salad and other items but it is mostly meat.  Delicious meat. 


Meats













My kidneys and body are still recovering from all of the meat, meat sweats and garlic breath.  There aren't enough bottles of water and breath mints to take me back to normal.  

*******************

A big deal around here that everyone is talking about is the Endeavor.  It made it's last trip around California before landing and resting in a museum before they move it to a more permanent home.  Though I was at work, I was still able to see it!  As I was placing my patient on a bedside commode, they announced that it was flying overhead.  I dropped her onto the pot, said, "Hold on to the sides!" and her daughter and I went to the window.  Wild!  Thankfully my patient was steady enough and with it enough to not fall off the pot.  History first, patient care next. 


Flying over the Griffith Observatory

Seen over the Hollywood sign, great shot!


Last night, the first day of fall, I went for a drive to pick up another Paleo cookbook at the nearby Barnes and Noble.  When I pulled out of the garage I noticed that it was getting darker earlier which was kind of a bummer.  I also noted that it was still very warm here and checked the weather back at home.  Haha!  I still have the AC on and am heading to the pool today.  

Anyway, point of my ramble.  I noticed the most beautiful first fall sunset.  I tried to snap a shot while I was driving and hoped for a red light but no such luck.  It was setting so fast!  You get the idea.  





Beautiful!

Great news about my contract.  I end this first assignment the week before Thanksgiving.  While I argued that it was luck and not me being a diva, I have been granted Thanksgiving week off!  I will be home to chow down and see you all again, I can't wait!  Let's set up some meet ups!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment