The other day, one of the nurses I was working with got sent home early because he was sick so I was assigned to pick up one of his patients instead of getting an admission. This was a welcomed treat! The guy had already been settled in and I just had to technically babysit him until change of shift report for the oncoming nurse. I went into his room and introduced myself, offered him something to eat or drink, a repositioning. He was my favorite flavor of patients, a male octogenarian! He was watching the news and muted it so we could talk (I love manners). I asked if there was any good news yet, he relayed that they were reporting a 60% chance of rain this week. ohmygosh! I laughed and said that it sounded like everyday where I came from, which is hardly news. He asked where I was from, "Pennsylvania" ... "Pittsburgh area" then he said "Me too. Grew up in New Kensington!" Immediately, he was my favorite patient. It was nice to chat with someone from home, even if he hadn't lived there in over 60 years.
As I always tell my patients when they ask, "Are you back tomorrow too?" I relay that I am not (most of the time) and that I guess I will have to find some way to entertain myself in sunny California. This time, I went biking in Santa Monica and Venice beach for the day. It was another beautiful day and because it was a weekday, it wasn't horribly crowded.
| The views... |
| Pit stop to people watch |
After some hours of terrifying traffic crossing/parallel riding with buses and speeding cars, we stopped for a break to watch the sunset. Even though it was a crowded day, sunset never seems to be overpopulated. Everyone finds their place and it becomes quiet for just a moment. It never gets old to me.
| No words. |
*******************************
Though it took some preparing, this cookbook did not lie when it named this "The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat" It was so moist and flavorful. I pat myself on the back for this one. Go me! I have actually been using the rooftop grill pretty frequently and wondered what bacon wrapped asparagus would turn out like and, duh, it was incredible!
*******************************
FINALLY!!!!!!!
Waiting in traffic, I could hardly wait for the night to begin! Florence and the Machine. Finally!
We planned to park early-ish and grab dinner nearby before the show. When we made it to the Hollywood Bowl, the second band was just about to start. The place was PACKED. The Weeknd started shortly after we were oriented and seated. I had never heard of him before tonight. I looked him up later and found out that he has worked with some pretty big names including Drake and Wiz Khalifa. Pretty impressive. If you get the chance to check him out, do it. He put on a pretty good show, better than I was anticipating for an opener. Currently addicted to his album and falling in love with one song at a time. It's a mix of a lot of music I like and sounds Maxwell-ish.
| The Weeknd |
| Even though we were kind of far away (tickets sold out so quickly), the large screens let us see her up close |
| "Excuse me... Flo?" (name that movie) |
What an incredible night!
*******************************
Now that I am on day shift in the city and my friends are still on night shift in the beach cities, our hang out times are becoming more rare. Luckily, my friend sent a spontaneous mid-day text saying he was near my place and invited me to lunch to catch up.
We decided on downtown Burbank, which is right down the road from me. I wanted to explore some places there so we aimlessly headed into downtown. This little town reminds me a bit of Point Breeze. It feels more like home and less like city. I can't wait to explore more of it!
My friend recently started crossfit so he has also become more aware of his diet. We stopped for lunch at an organic restaurant, Granville. We were seated close to the edge of the outdoor patio and the hostess warned us about what eventually happened. We were serenaded by a three boy band from Oregon who had vacationed here over a year ago and never left.
![]() |
| Hey buskers, shouldn't you be in school today? |
I will close with my giggle from this week. My sister has been blasting me with similar pictures that keep me smiling but this one was sent in perfect timing. I was boarding the elevator to take Max out and I read this.
| so.. stressed.. out |
Have a good weekend!
XO

No comments:
Post a Comment