First things first.
I miss California. Don't get me wrong, I love being here but it is not nearly as sunny or palm tree-y as I became so used to. Also, it has been straight clouds, bugs and road kill on the reg. I am not talking about a stink bug here or a fly there. Like, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids sized ants crawling near me and giant bees flying at my head!
Also, a more scary bug. Max had been shaking his head more often and I was busy with getting ready for DC thinking, he probably has some ear issue, I'll look at it once we are settled. Then he crossed the room and I saw this lumpy thing on his ear...
I blew up Google and asked my dad what he thought. Sure enough...
| A TICK!! |
------------------------------------------------------------
After a week of selfishly bonding with my mom, I had to share her with my siblings and nieces and nephews for Mother's Day, I guess...
There was a break for tubby time...
| Rub a dub dub, three bubs in a tub |
...and even a gymnastics portion where Mom showed how many years young she still is by doing a headstand!
| Happy Mother's Day to the biggest kid at heart! |
------------------------------------------------------------
Before heading to DC to straighten out my license (which is resolved, finally), I had time to squeeze in a run in the Pittsburgh Marathon. With zero training (hard to run in a car unless I converted my car into something out of the Flintstones), I was able to finish my leg of the relay without much difficulty. It is definitely more humid here! Whew!
| Morning yinz guys |
| The sun is on its way |
| Nailed it. |
------------------------------------------------------------
My trip to DC was broken up with a pit stop at the Marks' house. I haven't been there in well over a year and on this visit, a new tenant moved in. It was great seeing him! Oh and my sister and brother in law too.
| I got to feed him and he was very interested in me then! |
A quick hello to some old friends, favorite places and fancy cars!
| Get your palsy on.. |
| NICU <3 |
| A Lazzara and a Lotus |
------------------------------------------------------------
As with the last few places I've been placed, this Alexandria apartment is very cookie cutter. Nothing too fancy or surprising. I like that I am able to make several trips back and forth to home so I was able to decorate a little more, making this place feel a little more like the home I remember.
It is also very green outside which makes Max a happy boy for sniffing and toileting.
| Captured on the one day the sun came out |
The neighborhood where I live seems nice enough. In my complex alone, I think a majority of the tenants are medical professionals or some form of a young professional. I haven't seen kids. I haven't found the pool (which does not even open until Memorial Day weekend - WHAT?!). I haven't found the gym. I did, however, find a grocery store RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from my apartment. How handy! Almost as handy as the sign I found in the meat department that said, "Store will be closing on June 6. Thank you for your business." Cripes! I asked the cashier and she doesn't think anything is moving in afterward. Now back to square one of gridlocks for dinner.
------------------------------------------------------------
So east coast nursing it is! I had a few days of computer orientation and then two days in the NICU with a preceptor before being thrown to the wolves. My first day was not a bust! One of my patients was from Erie, PA. He said, "Go Steelers!" I just played along.
It feels good to be back among the people of unequal arm strength and irregular pupils! The staff nurses have been really friendly and helpful so far. The traffic has not too too bad from where I live either (thank goodness) but throw a marathon or an unattended book bag in the way and I see it being a nightmare!
| Officially official. |
As if half paper charting wasn't enough to blow my mind and mess my nursing groove up, I traded in a California Vocera device for... THIS!
I can't even remember the name of this thing but it is supposed to be a safety tool. Maybe it is safe because it slows you down more than using the giant computer it rests on (ever). It is the rainbow spinning wheel of nursing, if you can relate to that.
I understand it and I like it, it is just so slow and tedious to maneuver. I could easily scan with a handheld scanner and edit on the giant computer screen instead of with the tiny wand and screen on this thing. Oh gosh! I just sound like I am becoming old and rigid. Seriously, it is an easier transition and I don't take as much for granted, keeping myself in check. And I am bendy.
"You are fine and good. You are fine and good. You are fine and good." - Girls
My small orientation class had to be fitted for masks before we started on our units. It's so weird what that hood and sugar spray made me do!
Making friends by force and robotic movements
------------------------------------------------------------
In my very little "me" time, I have been diving back into (a more strict) paleo. I picked up a book surprisingly put together by Pittsburgh locals. I can't wait to try some of the recipes out. I also went to my first crossfit class. Ouchie! I am no longer speaking to the stairs until further notice. "C'mon Natalie, squat lower!" This is what I signed up for after a year of threats. I'll get it. See you soon six pack!
I tried a very dumbed down basic version of a sous vide steak. It turned out well, not as pink as I would have preferred but still delicious. I will master this also.
------------------------------------------------------------
I had to work on Vivian's birthday but she turned 6 anyway. That's the way first nieces work. She had her friends over for an Eloise party? I have a lot to learn. Like when she taught me what a Squinky was this past weekend. Huh? Sounds like a noise heard through my stethoscope. Do you know what a sphygmomanometer is? Yeah, I'll teach you something too, Viv.
![]() |
| Happy 6th Birthday, Vivian! |
I can't even believe this! Ben is 12. His moustache matches mine on days that get away from me. He read his own cards! A teary eyed celebration for my first nephew!
| Happy 12th Birthday, Ben-jammin! |
They each had a family party and then a friend party. I want to celebrate my birthday with this family! Except make my cakeS out of meat with bacon icing, please and thank you.
The important thing is that I'm home. Nevermind that my car went to rehab for exhaustion and came back with the equivalent diagnosis of car cancer. Sadly but with some excitement, I am looking for a new car that will tolerate all of my commutes.
Looking forward to the east coast adventures to come in the next few months.
XO

First, I would like to welcome you back to the righty coast. Second, I found it rather ironic that your paleo dish was served on a plate with spaghetti written on it (wink). And third, when did Ben get to be 12?!?! Holy smokes!!! xoxoxoxo Veeeeeeeeeeeeeee
ReplyDelete