If everything goes as planned, this will be my last non-working post. I am over it. Put me in coach!
In a previous post, I talked about an interesting way that I spent my "off" time. We aren't allowed to spill beans or anything, per paperwork, so I will just say that I recently read this book, which may be related to that activity. I liked the book a lot more than I expected too! It was neat to actually have a face for the characters that I did not make up in my head.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being home has helped me in my unexpected situation but it has also helped my parents. I've been able to convince them to be more active, for their own good but if nothing else, it keeps their hands out of the cookie jar!
My dad and I have been heading to different local cemeteries, where he has been a good resource for locating old relatives. It has been peaceful, productive, historical (influenza of 1918) and filled with life among the dead.
| "I had a little bird, it's name was Enza..." |
Each cemetery so far has a section of several similar stones, all from 1918, which reflects the flu pandemic at that time. Neat to me and maybe a few other Penn Staters who learned a little jingle related to this outbreak.
| Ohai! |
Call back to the recent overabundance of wheel bugs (::shiver::) from a previous post. They seem to be getting along with each other pretty well, huh?
But none are as spooky as this....
| Enter nightmares... NOW! |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a lighter note, my mom and I were able to keep our Apple Festival date this year! We were in, we were out and then it rained. Perfect timing! Unlike previous years, I won't be making apple pies or other non-paleo treats. I plan to make paleo applesauce and maybe individual paleo "apple pies" like I made last year. I am also looking into apple chips since I finally found and unpacked my mandoline.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For years... my dad and I have been talking about going to the abandoned and supposedly haunted West Virginia State Penitentiary. This came about after we realized how close it was while watching an episode of Ghost Hunters, where they stayed the night, you know, ...hunting ghosts. If you know anything about me, you know I love blood, guts and being spooked out and 'tis the season, so let's do this! We bought tickets and headed out to wild and wonderful West Virginia. We even talked mom into joining us!
I am sure the Google can tell you more than me but in brief, it is said to have been one of the most violent prisons, known for murder, suicide and executions. There have been reports of paranormal activity and shows aimed at uncovering the past related to these supposed hauntings.
In addition to the violent history of death and cruel punishment, WVSP is also known for a large prison escape in 1979 where fifteen prisoners made their way out. Must have been a no-brainer with a cheat sheet on the wall.
Inmates surprisingly passed time with jobs and had access to more tools/weapons than guards. Luckily, save for the riots, they were used for "good" purposes. Some were artists and painted large murals that hung all over the walls while others built exercise stations and the infamous Old Sparky, in 1951. Only 9 men visited him for execution before he was outlawed in 1965.
Once upon a time, this served as a chapel and a gym area for the inmates but since then has been redesigned and was used in a film that is coming soon. Even though I was not "in" this one, keep your eyes peeled anyway for this.
| An electric lineup |
Behind the place where "Old Sparky" now lives is the communication room. Visitors would talk via telephones from the outside, a U shape, to the inmate, who was in an enclosed area, for as long as he was allowed per his behavior. It looked just like you'd expect, just like the movies.
| I saw a Sheetz cup inside. Maybe THAT was a ghost's coffee and he was staring right at me! |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of my favorite cases was of the creatively homemade shanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, we were led to the Wagon Gate which is where they held their hangings. Hurrah! She told us about where the elderly, helpless inmates lived and then about the executions that were open to the public until one was immediately decapitated. Everyone got all wound up and it turned into an invite only event. Sissies.
After that, we were led inside to visit the cells.
| Stuck in time |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There were four levels of cells but by the time it closed, they only used the ground level, mostly because of plumbing and sanitary issues but I think she mentioned some other reasons too. I was just mentally stuck on images of disgusting poo rivers. Gag.
| Quick, someone call the Property Brothers! |
Art covered a lot of the walls, tape pieces were still seen on the wall from whatever hung before, *something* was still in the toilet and a general odor remained.
The guide relayed that on many of the doors, "pieces" were missing that had been carved out using dental floss and either toothpaste or Comet to fashion a weapon. Many doors looked like the one below.
| Someone had a lot of time on his hands! |
| The "showers" |
Some art work:
| Is that a stink bug?! |
| I see a theme... |
And also some borrowed shots from a youtube video of an overnight here:
| Dad called dibs on the one with a TV |
| Slammered |
| Locked in |
| "You've got the wrong guy!" |
So the tour wrapped up and we headed outside and across the street to visit a single mound, as the town was named after (Moundsville). Inside the building was a creepy collection of dolls that, if the imagination of prison hauntings didn't do it, would give a good nightmare.
| If you're interested in the history. |
Basically, way way way back, a certain unnamed but honored person died and was buried with a mound on top of him. Many years later, another similarly unnamed honored person died and was buried the same way, just on top of the original one, leading to this 70 foot high mound and the birth of a city named Moundsville. And then we stood on it.
| Mound tops can be disorienting, I guess |
| Me and my roomies made it to the top |
A climb like that deserves a little treat, for sure! We visited Johnny and Shar's for ice cream and a walk down (mostly my parents) memory lane with toys and signs, etc. Usually, no ice cream for me but I was in the mood for a little something sweet!
| Pittsburgh representing (Kennywood, Thunderbolt, Jack Rabbit, Idlewild) |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made a bottle and we worked on his smiles.

I watched a movie, he slept.
I think it went very well! I think I can do this after all!
Also, his mother informed me that he had the best night of sleep he has had since he has been home, so, ever. I wish I could share the secret with you but I don't know the answer. Auntie's touch cures all, I guess!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Up next, the other group of babes. We packed up and headed to the pumpkin patch. The time is fast approaching but even still, we may have been a week too late. Hunting for a decent pumpkin was that much harder but Abbey found two that weren't crushed, blown up or drawn all over. We found time to visit the cornstalk mazes, face painting and the corn playpen too. My favorite part was the people watching, of course.
| Pumpkin man is a stand in for Ben that day. |
| Children of the corn? |
| A windy day, it was. |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This time there are no food photos, sadly. However, I will say there is some exciting news on the paleo food front. My two favorite go-to recipe bloggers have decided to team up to make a recipe book together. I CANNOT wait to see what these two produce!! If you are as excited as me, you can--
- Pre-order it here.
- Read about their trip to Pittsburgh to announce it on this blog.
- Watch their blooper video here.
- Or just look at them and the food... here.
The thing I miss most being mostly paleo is cheese. I could have been mistaken for a mouse before this diet! I cheated a little this week with some cheeses and I loved it! Cheese baths for everyone!

Glad you are doing well. Looks like you are keeping busy. Loved the pictures of Blake. He is a cutie. Can't wait to meet him.
ReplyDelete