4.17.2012

Hammer Time

I finished my last night shift for approximately a month and while I was ready to celebrate (I curled my hair and even shaved my legs), it went out with a bang.  I felt like I chased my tail all night trying to give the necessary care to my very sick patient while pleasing everyone involved (the family, the docs, study nurses and students, organ recovery group, myself and the unit). 

After work, I drove to my parent house to drop my car off for inspection and a tune up to prepare my lil VW for a long trip.  Unfortunately, the appointment took all day, but the mechanic woke me up after only three hours to get consent for the necessary part replacements/upgrades.  I have to go back for 2 more tires that he ordered, because he didn't want to give me "the crappy ones" for a long trip.  Thanks John!  He later informed me that he "replaced the flat tire with a nail in it..."  Wait... what?!  I had no idea!  Proof that if it isn't shiny or dying, I don't seem to notice.  I don't think it was a dramatic flat as much as a slow leaker, but thankfully, that is all taken care of for safe travels.. with my mom! 

Yes that's right.  She decided to sign up as my passenger (thanks mom!) and co-pilot for the next 2,500 or so miles.  Stay tuned for what shall be initially titled "The Adventures of Anne and Natalie Anne, with Ease" (Anne with an E.. E's... get it?) as we take on the southern United States.   She will also be taking her first plane ride back to Pittsburgh in preparation for a longer trip to Hawaii this winter for my parents 40th wedding anniversary, how exciting and lovely! 

The travel agency called and gave me good news after a mini-overwhelming 24 hours.  As of Friday, my California license to nurse has been issued!  I am legit and set to go.  All of the paperwork that I scrambled for and pleaded to be sent has cleared, phew.  She also sent me a to-do list of tests, appointments and paperwork that need to be completed before I start work on May 7th.  Looks like my 10 days "off" are going to be jam packed full of work, appointments and farewells. And maybe time for a Porch Drink, Season 3 premiere (or finale), either way- the cliffhanger where you may win a basket of never used, half used or almost empty Bath and Body Works supplies, winter clothes or other odd and ends. 

So the purging and condensing of my apartment continues.  The countdown of work days is at three (there is that number again!) and till departure is at thirteen.  My back is already beginning to tantrum and spasm in preparation. 

Anybody want some planters?

1 comment: