Sunday
I had this bright idea on my way home. This would be the first time I've ever flown out of LAX. What if I see a celebrity? Let me catch their eye! I bought these funky pants that I have been lusting over and finally found a similar version for a decent price. I felt pretty unique!
I made it through security, grabbed breakfast and found my gate. I found an open seat where I could spread out a bit with my bags and food and drinks without being obnoxious. Once I was settled, I looked up and not 20 feet from where I was sitting was a tweener girl sitting indian style on the floor.. wearing the exact same pants! Do you know how big LAX is?! C'MON! #uniquefail
I arrived in Pittsburgh right around 9pm and saw my dad and Abbey waiting for me so I did what I do best, I cried.
I am so thankful to be home!!
Monday
My first morning home, my dad wanted to visit his relatives in the cemeteries and deliver wreaths for Christmas. He invited me to join him.
My dad wouldn't have known HOW HUGE this was, but he will now once he reads this.
I have not been to my grandparents' grave since they were each buried. Thirteen years! I was very close with them and when they died, they were cremated so I never got to see them or say goodbye to them. I am happy I never had to see them suffering and was able to spend so much time with them, until I was 19 years old. I was at work and at school and this time was unable to get there in time. It all happened so fast, within 3 months of each other (look at the dates on the stone, that's true love). I have had a hard time with death ever since. I am pretty embarrassing to have around.
It was not as difficult as I had anticipated, it was actually a good feeling to be there AND I was able to keep it together. Go me!
I am thankful for 19 years of being able to know and remember my grandparents the way my dad does.
![]() | |
| My favorite picture of them <3 |
In the evening, I made dinner and Abbey and the kids came over. My heart was bursting!
| tri-clops |
| triple love |
| the old school face time |
| Olivia (in play pen) and Alyssa (in chair) - big girlies! |
| Tummy time with Olivia |
| connected |
Vivian has always been very interested in girly things. When I would get ready while I still lived at home and was visiting my parents place, she would ask plenty of questions. She has grown to love pink and purple and make up and all things that sparkle. That night, I asked her if she wanted me to fix her hair and put some make up on her. Of course, she couldn't get upstairs fast enough. She was digging her makeover!
Look at her hair! She reminds me of Hayley Dunphy (Modern Family) from this angle. So pretty!
Speaking of the Dunphy family, if dreams came true...
| My friend made this for me because it's all I was talking about. I love nerdy, goofy Phil. Where is he!? |
I asked for an updated picture in anticipation of seeing little Will (named after my grandfather). Look at that baby cleave!
| such focus! |
Tuesday
Tuesday morning I got an updated picture of Max, obviously missing me so much....
I am thankful for 8 years with this furball!
Tuesday night, I reserved a dinner with one of my favorite Pittsburgh couples (shown below), the Shadle-Shaffers! Luckily, our friend Rachel was able to sneak out for the night as my date!
| Erica and Jesse "Pittsburgh Dad" Shadle-Shaffer |
| Cinnamon and sugar on the rim, genius idea to compliment this piece of heaven we shared. |
Our reservations were for a little European restaurant in Shadyside called Cafe Zinho. It is a BYOB restaurant, our favorite! Food and company were equal in greatness.
| Rachel and Erica Darlene |
| Jesse (the Pittsburgh Dad stunt double) and Max's mom |
Afterward, per our usual, we ended up at Harris Grill. It's a nice central place where people can meet up easily. It was so nice to see so many familiar faces that night!
I am thankful to have spent almost three years learning from and getting to know these wonderfully smart neuro-nerds.
| With Erica and Rachel |
| With Cecelia and Kate |
| Four reasons to have a stroke. |
Wednesday
Out of desperation, I picked up a Gobblerito on my way home. It is one of my favorite fall treats in Pittsburgh. It is a burrito filled with thanksgiving foods! Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes... cranberry on the side, gravy on top. You've gotta try one (next year since they are seasonal and gone now).
I am thankful for Mad Mex's gourmet creativity.
| Nom to the nom |
The first part of my Wednesday night included a hair appointment. Finally! Someone who KNOWS what she is doing. Surprisingly, I cannot find a decent stylist in LA. How is that even possible?! Breanne is a hair genius and fixed me up, made everything better. Wonderful job, as always!
I am thankful for great hair stylists.
| I think the owner was shaking a bit when he took this picture, ya think? |
The second part of my night was Friendsgiving at the Lazzara House. David made his "anything but turkey" cioppino, complete with a piece of lobster tail cooked using orange olive oil. Kelly made several desserts and I tried every one. It was all so delicious!
I am thankful for men who can cook, women who can bake and relationships that work.
Kelly, David, Amy, Dave and I sat around the dining room table sharing this meal and catching up. Our friendship is one where no matter how long we have been apart, we are quick to catch up and continue as if it's been just a few days.
After dinner and coffee, we got into our jammies and had girl talk before our adult sleepover and a 5k in the morning.
I am thankful for great friendships, adult sleepovers and giggling girl time.
| Found these gems in the backseat - 'Merica! |
We made great time, found easy parking and arrived in time to not freeze or be late for the start.
| The ^ Lazzaras do their first 5K ^ |
| READY... |
| ...SET... |
| GO!!! |
It was a personal best for me (I ran alone) coming in just under 30 minutes and not stopping once (impressive after a night of adult beverages and stuffing my face with food). I can't wait to do it again next year!
I am thankful for traditions.
And finally, Thanksgiving dinner time!
Will arrived with his parents and we hugged for most of the night. Well at least that's how I tried to have it happen :)
Regardless of how it really happened, I got some sweet pictures that will last me for a little while until we hang out again.
| Ohai, baby! |
| Helping to tuck him in for the night |
| 30 REASONS I AM THANKFUL TO BE HOME!! XO |
...and Uncle Gregg, if you are reading this, I am thinking DC for my next assignment!
Friday
I had to leave bright and early Friday morning for fear that the Black Friday shoppers would jam up the parkway. Fooled again! Everyone must have been waiting for the made up Cyber Monday because I got to the airport in no time, arrived at 6:50am. Was in, through security and on the shuttle to the terminals by 7:03am! Amazing!
While I was patiently waiting for my plane to board, I found another Paleo cookbook that was on special for Black Friday. $30 off! I haven't made much from it but what I have made and seen, pretty delicious looking and tasting! Check it out:
...and beyond
I made dinner for my friends when I got back to catch up. Paleo isn't for everyone as I learned when my friend Nick, from Tennessee, tried spaghetti squash. Entertaining to say the least!
| almost paleo minus the cheese |
| Max helped (or I tricked him with a Beggin Strip)! |
| "Spaghetti" with a roasted red pepper meat sauce |
| With Nick and Emily |
Back to the grind on my new contract and I already have some good stories to share. Until the next post, enjoy!
XO




No comments:
Post a Comment