12.22.2012

Blue and Yellow, Blue and Yellow...

Like the ever popular Wiz Khalifa song, blue and yellow seemed appropriate here.  I couldn't help but notice how I am unknowingly drawn to Pittsburgh and/or Pennsylvania travelers at work.  It's always a fun surprise to learn how close to home my new friends are.  I don't understand the attraction but I've met a lot of Pennsylvania people here.  Go Keystone State! 

For those friends who are not from the area, we teach them about winters, hockey, zamboni machines and mullets.  I refer to the guy who cleans the floors on our unit Johnny Zamboni when he comes screaming through the unit and we can't hear ourselves think.  The basement also employs a zamboni-like machine to move trash and other items.  I've learned how few people on the west coast know what this is.  Yinz humor doesn't carry over here..  sad.  Someone asked "Is it a hot dog?"  "No but now I am hungry for a hot dog."  Very entertaining to hear what they THINK it is.


Unfortunately I won't be home for Christmas this year.  I'm not allowed to work Christmas because Kaiser pays 2.5 times pay and regular staff will murder to work this day.  On the bright side, I work no weekends this schedule! 

The nice thing about traveling is that there are always people to hang out with and there are ALWAYS things to do because these travelers also have no holiday plans.  I am going to be busy these next few days.  Christmas day, I am going to Santa Monica to a friend's house who is hosting brunch.  After that, I will go home and cook a Paleo Christmas dinner and host my friend, another traveler.  We will also be celebrating our birthdays because his is near mine and he won't be in California anymore when it's here.  The day after Christmas, I was invited to help decorate the Kaiser float that will be in the Rose Bowl Parade.  I'm staying busy taking every opportunity presented to me here.  I have had a pretty busy and opportunity-filled year.  I just looked back on my "last 12 months" photos in my iPhoto application.  Wow.  Reflection. 

Anyway, enough sappiness.  Let's get back to what is what in sunny California!




MELE KALIKIMAKA, N'AT!

I joked that this was going to be my Christmas card photo.  Then my match.com profile picture.  I don't even want to imagine the freaks that would attract!  This is actually what it's really like here:


Still no coat!
Though this is from a few months ago, not much has changed.  Just my skin color.  I am pale again.  I can recall exactly one day where it felt like I was home because it was windy, cold and leaves were blowing around.  I could also smell fireplaces burning.  Yum.

I did most of my in-store shopping at The Grove.  Partly because of the store selection but mostly because I needed to see decorations to get into the spirit.  They helped a little but the sun and blue skies distracted me.  Pretty...



Oh yeah,  I was pretty close to our old friend Albert Clifford Slater from Saved By The Bell.  He's really pretty up close!






I made sure to get my holiday nails on too.  I am pretty pleased with them!  Less pleased with how bad my phone camera sucks :(  Only a few more weeks til I get a brandy new one.  All of my pictures seem like a dream lately.  Partly because it feels like a dream being here maybe. 


 It is December!



This past weekend, the monitor tech and my fast friend, Roya, invited me to the Kaiser CSU/ICSU Christmas Party.   Travelers don't go to this.  It ended up being kind of lame with like five people on the dance floor and the dinner was chewy and cold.  BUT!  In doing this, I think I built some bridges at work.  People have been nicer to me and not just dismissive like, "Oh she's just a traveler."  It was worth it if that means no seven to eight patient days, for sure! 

These photos were shared with me, sorry they aren't foggy but dark instead.   







Roya trying to teach me how to samba, oh brother.

My Date





Sunday I did something I've never done before.  I participated in a Sunday Funday event and watched almost an entire Steelers game (See, I met Pittsburgh friends!).  They were on the big screen!





I am always trying out new paleo recipes.  This one was a different chili than I had made before.  It was zucchini and peppers and meat.  Over mashed cauliflower.  Delish!



My parents sent me my Christmas package that is to not be opened until Christmas per strict orders.  My friends who used to live here (Bryan and Michelle) sent me  a package too with no instructions so I opened it!  Christmas and birthday wishes!  How very sweet of them to think of me! 


Dear Santa, I REALLY need a new camera.  This is frustrating.   








This is just a really sweet instagram that I saw this week.  I love it!


There are patient stories that I am leaving out and world events that I've skipped over.  I just wanted to get this posted so I could wish everyone a Merry Christmas.  Though I can't physically be present or buy presents for everyone, I wanted to shout out my love for you guys.  I miss yinz.  Also, Happy 2013!  The best is yet to come, right?

XO 



Say, what's in my future?
  • Belly dancing classes (I'm serious)?
  • Cooking classes?
  • Crossfit (I know I keep threatening,but with all this paleo, why am I not doing it?  2013!!)?
  • DC in the spring?
  • Which if yes, this means another cross country trip is in my future too.  Pray for my VW.
  • Nature hikes before I leave?
  • A NEW PHONE.  Period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment