It has been a year since we have seen each other and I couldn't have been more excited to find the airport to pick him up. Finally, someone who felt my pain about the weather. "I feel like I'd need to take 4 showers everyday just to stay fresh here!" Yup!
Thankfully, I had the best week of work I've had since I've been here so getting out on time and to the airport was no problem. I gathered Jared from the curb and we picked up right where we left off.
As a paleo loving cavewoman, a Brazilian churrascaria is like a meal in heaven. There is a giant buffet full of fruits and vegetables followed by an unlimited supply of meats. My only job was to rotate this coaster piece from start (green) to stop (red) and back to go (green), over stuff my face and catch up.
| Reunited and just as it always was. With a side of the meat sweats. |
Once we got home we started a game of Phase 10 (a card game that we agreed we would dominate by the time we made it to the nursing home, so, look out you fellow octogenarians!), like the good ol' days and this game lasted all weekend! We kept playing a phase here, 3 phases there. I am sad to report that I am a little rusty. He won both games. Meep.
Sunday we woke up and continued playing some phases over coffee before we got ready to put on our best "natitude" and check out the Nationals game. We could not have asked for a nicer day, minus the humidity. Simpson-esque fluffy clouds, blue skies and great people watching!
| Lining up! |
We finally found our seats by the third inning, which was more like an intelligence test. "Oh you want to save money and sit up high? Are you smart enough to locate your seat? We will see." There were elevators that led to hallways and escalators and stairs. We passed the test... Even if someone was sitting in our seats when we arrived.
| Dizzy... |
We sat down in time to see a grand slam and a home run immediately after that. Not like the baseball games that I am used to seeing! Unfortunately, it was so hot and slippery sitting down that we decided to find a breeze in the walkways and stand instead.
Some people were super serious about the game. More than a handful of people that we passed were carrying and marking up a stats book. It reminded me of my days with the girls soccer team in high school. We were super serious about refreshments.
We happily found a breeze and some monuments in the horizon. Time for some selfies! Blow me, DC, I'm roasting here. No really, I need the wind...
Instead of sitting in our seats and covering ourselves in sweat, we walked around and took pictures and people watched, which was worth the same money we spent for seats any day.
My experience has mostly been at PNC park in Pittsburgh with the pierogie races. Here, they have presidents EVERYWHERE and instead of pierogies racing, the presidents race instead.
I didn't get to photograph this race close up. Washington won today's race. Congratulations Georgie!
| Action shot and proof that I was there, melting. Sweat stains not visible from here. |
We made an early exit in order to beat the crowds (the Nationals were winning by enough that we felt confident with the end results being a win) and find some AC. The first place we saw was directly across the street and happened to be a brewery. We did what we had to do.
The storm clouds didn't take long to roll in and we were scared out of the brewery and to the car for fear we would be stuck in a storm. We made it back without a drop on our heads!
We had a good rinse when we got home to refresh and walked to a restaurant down the road from me for dinner once the weather calmed down. I have heard good things and have been meaning to try it. It was a good pick!
| I think Monet sat here for his painting inspirations |
Monday we didn't have a lot of time to work with so we decided to grab lunch and spend a few hours.. trying to find parking and walking to the Museum of Natural History. Regardless, nailed it!
Lunch was a super American burger, fries and a Coke and then we toured the museum. It was just as I remembered it!
...with a mix of the human genome display. I love science!
I also love sparkly things! 45 carats?!
| Dear Santa... |
I also liked the Tim Burton-esque displays. Or maybe it was just the even though I rage about my job sometimes, I love the science and body.
| Taylor Swift's relative in the background? Ca-caw! |
| See, I'm not the only one who wants to stay on the beach for always! |
It's like they were watching us!
And then we visited the cavetimes.
| Family Photo - sadly of a burial. |
| whale tails |
| Uhhhh...? |
We overpaid for parking and rushed to the airport. It felt like we were just there! It's never long enough but it was plenty fun enough. Thanks for visiting, Jared!
After watching fireworks via PBS this past week while everyone was out celebrating made me miss the security, safety and comfort I had once upon a time. I live outside of my comfort zone all day, every day. While this was most likely the best decision I ever made (behind becoming a nurse), it is starting to wear a little. Time to make some life decisions, I guess.
A few trips home in the next few weeks should cure this funk. Looking forward to some family time and celebrations! Can't wait to see everyone!
Until then, I am gonna keep watching Nurse Jackie in binges and feel unnecessarily guilty every time I go to work and play drug dealer.
"If you are having pain, push your call bell. I'll be right with you."
XO

Sounds like a great weekend!!!!!
ReplyDelete