We made it without any major hiccups and I can finally
announce that without knocking on wood!
My arms feel like lead still and I crave naps everyday so
far. I heard it could take a week
to a month to adjust to the time change.
Hopefully it’s the former.
Our plan to make the double feature kind of fell through
because of the time change and office hours of the place I was moving into
didn’t allow for a sunrise. Seeing
the sunset was PLENTY for us though.
Note: The Grand Canyon is not a place to go if you are
afraid of heights. I know my mom
is terrified of heights, just take her to the mall and get near the railing on
the second floor. Me though? I thought I was good. I can do the high roller coasters at
Kennywood, the Pitfall and fly without an issue. This though…
Phew! Here everyone is,
hanging out on the edge snapping photos and enjoying the view, even jumping off
rocks into the air to catch a cool shot, while the two scaredy cats that we
were had positioned ourselves feet first and tilted backwards at an angle away
from the canyon holding on to each other as we shimmied as close as we could to
the fencing surrounding the canyon.
We may have looked silly but we did it! I was out of breath, which may have been related to the
altitude, the view or my anxiety.
Whatever the cause was, I am so glad we drove 50 miles out of our way to
see it! The view was literally
breath taking and neither my words nor any picture we took could ever relay how
awesome it really is to be there in person.
The fifth day of our trip involved some pretty steep and
impressive mountains and getting here (to LA) before 2PM. We considered traffic at the time of
our arrival and decided that leaving Arizona in the early morning was best. We
passed mountains that made me very nervous and then we entered California where
they asked if we had any plants or vegetation. At that point, I was happy to give them my burned out
orchids (the leaves may have gotten a sunburn in the back window). They weren’t interested so I guess I am
obligated to nurse them back to health.
The once annoyingly slow and indecisive 18-wheelers on the
road quickly became my best friend once we entered the roads nearer to Los
Angeles. I don’t know if you are
familiar with “The 405” but I was thrown onto it and immediately, everything
was sweating! Seven lanes of
traffic on each side! SEVEN! I couldn’t believe my GPS and struggled
to keep up the pace of 75 mph. I
held hands with any 18-wheeler like a kid with his parents in an amusement
park, tried my best not lose my rooftop cargo and not wreck my car. Phew!
Once I got to my place, we unloaded the car and got a taste
of LAX when we picked up Jared and four bags of his life. We had to be up early so the first
night was uneventful to say the least.
After work, we all toasted to new beginnings over In-N-Out Burgers and
fries, which is supposedly huge here so we wasted no time trying them. Afterward, I had a FaceTime date with
Ben (and the rest of the gang).
Vivian learned about the Kentucky Derby so we put on hats to chat. Thank goodness for technology!
My place:
FaceTime:
That evening, we drove to Long Beach, checked out the water
and then spent dinner at a little Mexican restaurant on the water. The waitress made guacamole at the table
and it was the best I had ever had.
I will be back for more, definitely.
The next day was Mom’s flight home. I felt horrible leaving her but later
found out that my dad had followed through with her joking request that he be
there in a suit with a name sign to pick her up. Class act. She
made it home safely and the only thing she would say is, “That was really
something.” At least that is over
and getting to Hawaii will be a little easier in a few months for her and my
dad.
Jared and I started work this week, hence the absence. It has only been orientation so far but
today was the most fun orientation that I ever sat through. Over 8 + hours, I was barely tired or
bored, I learned a lot and really respect the business model Kaiser South Bay has
developed. I also enjoy that
everyone is unnaturally happy and helpful. This is a whole new world! Coming from a place where people hesitated to make eye
contact or greet you to plenty of eye contact and greetings and even a personal
golf cart ride to the parking garage, no problem. These sunny people are onto something. This is where I work : Pink (<--click)
What uphill walk?!
I am excited to get back into scrubs and to be at the
bedside but we still have a week and a half before that happens. Until then, Jared and I have been
taking advantage of visiting a beach everyday and exploring our neighborhood,
planning our LA bucket list to tackle while we are here. We’ve been getting into a habit of
sunset dinners on the beach. I
even put my feet in the Pacific tonight.
It was much warmer than I was expecting.
Hopefully updates will be more frequent now that I am
somewhat settled in, and even more when I get real internet. Enjoy the
picture show.
Love the update. I was worried but I think you are doing fine. Max looks like he is settling in. Enjoy every new experience. We miss you. Love, Aunt Shelley
ReplyDelete