I hope that I don't become a demented old lady and/or the Internet disappears because I would hate to forget these memories!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am wrapping my time in LA and it has been bittersweet to say the least. I have 10 more shifts left at LAMC and then it looks like I will be off to Georgetown, assuming everything falls into place as planned. Another road trip for Nat Nat and Grammy is right around the corner! I cannot believe that I have been here for an entire year! Remember that time I cried like I was going to war...?
In reflection, I have met some great life-friends which is more than I could have asked for, had some incredible experiences, was able to compare east coast versus west coast practices and behaviors and have grown as a person in my career as well as in my life. It has been a great year!
(I was even mentioned in a sweet tweet! #trendingin2013? )
In case you wondered about the man in my life...
..or how the weather is here in March/April
After my parents visited, I worked several days in a row and then had more time to play. A few friends and I went to a winery in Malibu for a picnic lunch and then headed back to El Matador Beach for the afternoon.
![]() |
| Julie, Clara, Christine and a familiar face. |
![]() |
| Picnicking with too much food for four girls |
After the winery we headed toward the beach and had to make an emergency roadside pullover. There's my lil VW! We had to capture the incredible view....
| Holy .. wow. |
It was a little chillier than the last time I was there but we powered through little water splashes and shady caves to the other side where we were able to sit in the sun and enjoy company and stories.
| This always reminds me of The Little Mermaid :) |
![]() |
| Busy enjoying life and making memories again! |
Malibu sunset scene
A co-worker and I bonded over running. We signed up for something that is a variation of the Color Run or Color Me Rad, called Run of Dye. It's all the same thing. You dress in white, they give you colored cornstarch and you get sprayed along the course with different colors, finishing the race covered in a rainbow of colors.
| Before (I look similar to a 14 year old) |
| NOT at work |
| Another before shot |
| Entertaining costumes galore! |
| The starting line |
| The first "spray" |
| AFTER |
| The powder mixed with sweat. Ew. |
| My washing machine was already crying |
I had a week off from work. I planned to do nothing but hang out at the pool and enjoy a stay-cation, I mean really, I'm in California. It ended up being a very relaxing week. I got to read a lot and catch up, a real reboot.
Imagine what these four ladies combined had to say about match.com dating. Hilarity!
| Thanks for the blurry picture, waitress. |
St Patrick's Day in Santa Monica with Rhea and Karli
My Pittsburgh friend Amy came into LA for several days. One of those days we spent time with this guy. What a great story when your introduction is "son of Chuck Norris." Whoa! He was a very nice guy who didn't carry the Hollywood attitude. He felt more like the uncle, a good listener while inserting some giggle worthy conversation.
| Him relaying a funny story. |
Amy and I went to the Santa Monica Aquarium because it was finally open this time. One pass through and it was alright. One of the workers asked what we thought about the displays and took us through to highlight some pretty neat and rare creatures. Obviously the Jellyfish is not too unique but it was still fascinating to watch them.
This "thing" is actually upside down. We learned that they slowly get eaten bite by bite from other creatures in the tank. So sad!
These creatures were probably my favorite and most interesting ones that day. I can't remember the name but they are associated with the venus fly trap. They were just fed brine shrimp (little white dots) so we could watch how they feed. They were very graceful and the color contrast was so pretty. The employee who was schooling us took one out and had us smell it. The ball of jelly in his hand.. smelled like grapefruit!
Most of the creatures and displays in this aquarium are from the ocean just down the road. Locals!
We spent a little more time wandering around Santa Monica, through shops and nibbling some food.
Then she was on her way back to Pittsburgh and I was on my own again. Back to work to earn time and money to play.
| Rage rage rage at work. Don't change the channel.... |
And we're back!
I grabbed a bite to eat for lunch outside before meeting up for my first metro ride (in LA) and my first Dodgers game.
| Spring is in full bloom here! |
First stop was meeting up with her family and eating at Olvera Street. This place has popped up in my blog before. It is where LA was born and eventually became a part of the United States. The weather was nicer on this particular day and the crowds were heavier, shopping at each stand.
It almost feels like a permanent Mexican Arts Fest. I got a schooling from my friend and her family!
| Yeah, I brought the bangs out for the day. |
| How the Mexicans say Dodgers, so I learned |
We arrived a little late though we (as people) were on time. There was so much ... you got it, traffic! They actually have a bus lane designated for the express bus to the stadium which we were on but cars were leaking over into that lane and blocking it. Police were trying to regulate but we were still late. We hurried in and found our seats by the second inning. We hadn't missed too much, just getting there in time for a free sweatshirt.
| A city, a wedgie and some baseball. |
| He's cute, but he's no Bucco! |
| Pittsburgh:Primanti Sandwich::LA:Dodger dogs |
| Blending in... |
| Crickets on Olvera Street |
And
back to food/dino-dining. I am still paleo strong, with some cheats while visitors
are here but here is some of what I have been making.
| Plantain pancakes |
Since I resolved to the idea of shipping items home, I have been more open to buying things I need in the kitchen. I bought a new tool for cooking. It juliennes veggies into pasta! Here I made sausage meatballs and zucchini spaghetti.
Another tool was the very dangerously sharp mandoline. I made these sweet potato chips in no time at all! I still have all ten fingers to type about this experience, so, win!
This was a Mexican cocoa marinated beef skewer for the grill with baked sweet potatoes and peppers.
I was trying out a different taco shell variation instead of always using a lettuce leaf. They were kind of like pancakes and tasted pretty good too. I had a special observer in the kitchen for this process:
So that's all for now. Wrapping up loose ends and enjoying my last few weeks here. Not looking forward to packing but looking forward to being nearer this summer! See yinz soon! Enjoy your weekend!
| (Facebook brought back a good memory, mmm hmmm) |
XO




No comments:
Post a Comment