My girl friends from San Francisco made a trip down to visit me for a few days and what a great time that was! I haven't shared a bathroom with that may girls since the 1990s, but we managed. California felt like a whole new place to me and I haven't laughed that hard since last week. I'm with Megan in saying that someone should sell California as an antidepressant, seriously.
We covered a lot of the area since two of the three girls had never been here before. I also covered new areas and can't wait to go back for more. I always struggle with how I am going to concisely relay my adventures and decide every time that pictures just help guide me and are probably all you want to look at anyway, so here we go.
 |
| Obligatory feet in the Pacific picture, we made it! |
 |
| Just another beautiful beach day |
 |
| Who here was a Girl Scout? How many nurses does it take to start a fire? |
Arielle and I walked down the beach and found a little hut that sold firewood so we worked our muscles (I can still feel the burn) carrying two bundles back to a pit for our little fire. They had everything we needed to get started, so accommodating!
 |
| Waiting for the fire to heat up so we can cook some hot dogs before sunset |
 |
| Ta-da! |
 |
| It gets chilly once the sun starts going down and the wind picks up! |
 |
| Nom. |
 |
| Never gets old |
If you are a fan of True Blood you are familiar with Fangtasia, right? That bar is actually called Alex's bar and is 1.2 miles from where I am staying. We hurried home and prettied up for a small bite to eat and then headed to this place, as we are fans. I researched and it was a punk-style looking bar so I was a little apprehensive to visit a crowded and loud place, as pictures on the internet showed. I hesitate to talk it up as much now that I've been there because I know it will never again be as fun as it was that night.
We had some rude service for dinner and quickly made it to Alex's bar. We were it! The bartender was sitting in a chair at the door and happily welcomed us and started getting our drinks ready. In conversation he asked if we were fans of True Blood... hehe. He actually met some of the actors and said they are very nice. We asked him to call Alexander Skarsgard... They actually have drinks that are made from something called "True Blood" like in the show, but this is just a blood orange soda drink.
Once the bartender shared a True Blood inspired shot with us, Leslie and Ashley took over DJing and as we relayed how we do it at home, the place quickly turned into a Pittsburgh wedding (Electric slide, bird dance, dougie-ing all over the floor). They were highly entertained as were we. It surely ranks up there with one of my most fun nights yet!
 |
| Electric sliding |
 |
| Somehow Arielle grew fangs, appropriate. |
 |
| Everyone say Sookie! |
In the morning we decided we were going to make it to the beach for prime sun time, which still never happened. We detoured through Beverly Hills and LA for brunch and a drive by on Rodeo Drive (again). If there just wasn't so much traffic, we could keep on schedule as planned.
Brunch was at a neat little place called Blu Jam Cafe. We ate outside next to an E-list celebrity, who boasted of a time when he worked with Ricky Martin. We were more interested in his very attractive Aussie friend and began planning our next travel assignment in Australia (not really)!
The restaurant was on Melrose Avenue and it was fun to look at but we tried to remain non-touristy. We do this every Thursday, no big deal. We were caught off guard when a sightseeing tour bus drove by and several transvestites were waving and cat calling off the roof in our direction. Again, no big deal, we see this all the time.
We made it to the Santa Monica Pier around 2:00, better than our previous beach day. Neat little fact I learned was that this pier is actually the end of Route 66. We got some good sun, fun and people watching in and grabbed a bite to eat before heading home while we waited out the evening traffic.
 |
| As seen on TV! |
 |
| View of the pier from Ocean Avenue |
 |
| Baywatch. Also the best lifeguard I've ever seen. Not best looking, just really serious about his profession. |
I didn't get any pictures but the area just above the Pier (in the actual street area) was one of the most beautiful outdoor malls and food areas I've ever seen. I can't wait to go back! I know people have said "Santa Monica is trashy and gross and touristy" but maybe one time I'll see a shark attack (they happen a lot according to the TV and I'm a nurse, I dig blood and guts, ok?) and I AM a tourist. The people watching was enough for me to visit again, not to mention the shops and food.
Things went so smoothly with my first visitors! After this weekend of work, I am ready for my next house guests. Is it you? Call me.
XO
That sounds awesome! I want to visit and do all if those things!!
ReplyDelete